Mediterranean style homes are typically found in warmer climates and feature coastal design elements, such as open spaces and outdoor patios. This design style is influenced by homes in Greece, Spain, and Italy. Walls are typically made of stucco or plaster, floors are marble or tile, ceilings are usually wooden, and wall beams are left exposed. Golden yellows, olive greens, rich reds, and cobalt blues are colors commonly used and can been seen on walls, tapestries, mosaic inlays, pottery, and art.
Elements of design:
- The colors and decorative elements are influenced by homes in Greece, Spain, and Italy
- Typically features a rich color palette in golden yellows, olive greens, rich reds, and cobalt blues
- Decorative elements include textured walls, tapestries, mosaic inlays, Italian-style pottery and art
- Open-air patios are commonly used as entertainment space
- Floors are typically dark wood, marble, or terra cotta tile
- Stucco and plaster walls with sculpted detailing are common